January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10481 - 02/04/08 12:42 PM When is a dog old enough to run in the open class *****
Paul Thurmond Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm looking at buying a 4 month old dog that is lightly started. I would like to run her at kingston on the 8th. I'm just putting this out there to get some opinions. Should I run her now or not. Would running her with the older more experienced dogs hurt or help. Just getting back into this, I have forgot alot of what I used to know. I guess they are right when they say getting old is a female dog. Let me know what you guys have to say.

Paul Thurmond (Longbow)

#10482 - 02/04/08 12:55 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Paul Thurmond]
RICK TAYLOR Offline
addict

Loc: TENN
if ur talking about running the dog in a trial i wouldnt dog that young needs only ran with another dog or felleow pup so it can get plenty of rabbit smeell on its own instead of haveing to just chase other dogs for it.learning bad habits along the way..

#10483 - 02/04/08 02:01 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: RICK TAYLOR]
Shawn Benefield Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Arkansas
I agree with Rick. He or she is still to young. They will be running more dog than rabbit. It can cause a dog to really get messed up. Let her get 4 to 5 months with some young dogs and even run her with a older dog from time to time. Solo her let her gain condifience. Just my thoughs

Edited by Shawn Benefield (02/04/08 02:01 PM)

#10485 - 02/04/08 02:16 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Shawn Benefield]
Josh Jones Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: AR
I don't tbink you should run one until about a year, but it really depends on the dog. I have talked to a bunch of people who won't trail one until they are two years. A dog really needs to be good on their own or they will get messed up trying to cheat and keep up with the experienced dogs.

#10486 - 02/04/08 03:20 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Josh Jones]
MDK BEAGLES Offline
old hand

Loc: arkansas
i agree that is way to young to trial a dog i would wait til it is over a year old because you can really hurt a dog by trialing it before it is ready

#10487 - 02/04/08 03:24 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Josh Jones]
leo simmons Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: michigan
i agree i usal wait until they are 18 months to 2 years old befor i put them in trials .but you will sure be welcome at the kingston hunt.where are you located.if you need drections or anthing just give me a call 810-392-2613.yours in beagleing leo

God bless

#10490 - 02/04/08 03:51 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: leo simmons]
Woodine Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Oklahoma
I've read some of your post and know by them you are anxious to get into field trialing. However, if you have a good pup you don't want to do anything to "blow" this pup up. Wait and have patience. Time flies and the pup is getting older everyday. I suggest you go to some field trials and see what the competition will be for when this pups is mature in its running and can be entered and compete.
Once you blow one up, I don't know anything that can be done to undo the damage.
A competitive young dog knows when it is getting beat. That is when they learn to cheat.

#10491 - 02/04/08 07:50 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Woodine]
Danny King Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vassar Michigan
you should look into buying a good started dog to run in the trial plus a pup then you can have the best of both worlds

#10496 - 02/04/08 09:14 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Danny King]
REBEL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Alabama
My opinion..it is all in the breeding.My pups start at 2 to 4 months and some have been campaigned in trials at 4 months and done well,others do very well in competition by 6 months on.If a hound is not running a rabbit well at a year old it does not eat here or kenneled here,my breeding or other bloodlines i may chose to buy to see if they can complement my breeding program..Also if i can burn a pup out by putting to much pressure on it i have made a mistake somewhere in my breeding program..TY

#10497 - 02/04/08 10:13 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: REBEL]
Shawn Benefield Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Arkansas
Rebel you are the man, I guess we need to take lesson from you. Dogs starting a 2 months old, learning how to breed like you. I mean dan you got it all. Great breed program rabbit within walking distance, dogs kicking but in field trial at 4 months old. What do you not have. I will say this. I seen some of the best breeder in the ARHA. None of the come on here and talk about their program, Terry Sudduth, Tony Dickerson, Phil and Jim Bryum, Matt Glosmiki, Wilkerson, and so on and so on. Are you trying to get on here and bost about you dogs because it sure sound like it. I don't know you and I sure you have good intention but man you sure talk about your dogs and breeding alot. I never seen you at a field trial or can't remember you. I will never get on here and tell you how good my dogs are. I'm not saying you don't have good dogs but quit bragging.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  JOYCE, Kim 
Top Posters
leo simmons 1181
Josh Jones 1004
K Daniels 972
beagleman01 944
Danny King 943
Newest Members
Hobie, Zach Kimbrell, crocketsville, Highland Beagles, Swamp&Briar
1848 Registered Users
Forum Stats