January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10516 - 02/05/08 01:26 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open cl ***** [Re: Lance]
REBEL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Alabama
SHANNON HOWARD..I have never been on that board previously but think you for the link.I did go to the link and did a search but only REBEL indicated there was a hound..TY..Have a good day.
Lance i was attempting to respond to the persons question as to when a dog was old enough to run in the open class of an ARHA event,which there is no age minimum nor maxium,and i was giving my opinions and the facts of what a young hound had accomplished from my breeding practices from my kennel,nothing more,nothing less..and i have always maintained that breeding is 85% or more of a hounds potential and how it turns out as a rabbit hound and i breed accordingly and so far it has served me well..TY

#10517 - 02/05/08 01:35 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Scott Johnson MI]
REBEL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Alabama
Scott..great advice..but first let me say to Shawn....FST_TRAC's Lil Jessie has never been in an AKC trail she just recently made PP Champion and very close to being a double Champion LP and PP and Bench and it all started at the young age of 4 months,she is not a one of a kind but a one of a kind breeding.Now lets get back to the subject matter at hand..TY

Edited by REBEL (02/05/08 01:37 AM)

#10518 - 02/05/08 01:44 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Paul Thurmond]
shawdog Offline
old hand

Loc: Ga.
Paul,
First of all, Welcome to Progressive Pack. Second and most important of anything you may read on this site, BE PATIENT !!!
I have owned and raised beagles for nearly 15 years and I field trialed hard for about 8 years. I have owned some awesome hounds in my time and developed my kennels to produce dogs that would start and be running on it's on by 4 months. I listened to the old timers, for a long time, then decided I would try what others had done or was doing. I had a little female, " Shawdog's Midnight Lexus", who was doing things I had never seen before in a 4-5 month old pup.I took her to her first trial @ 7 mths. and she placed 9th out of about 25-30 hounds. The second hunt 7th, and then a couple other hunts. Then we had the break during the summer months for a couple of months. After we started back up, the first hunt we went to, she minused out for opening & not producing. OK , bad scent day. The next hunt 2 minuses for O.N.P. and 3rd minus for reaching. It only got worse. By the time she reached 11 months old , she had became so competitive, and wasn't mature enough to handle it. she had became a complete idiot, and had to leave my kennels.
From that point on, I would not trial a dog until it was at least 18 mths. Most of them were 2 yrs. What has always and I emphasize ALWAYS worked for me, was after the dog was started, I would run it with a experienced older dog that it could keep up with and out foot it if he/she wanted to. Then, SOLO....SOLO...SOLO.. that dog until it became totally confident and could circle a rabbit back to the jump with no help. It sometimes get's boring being out with only one dog, but the enjoyment of winning a field trial is always rewarding. I personally feel like a dog CANNOT reach it's full potential if it's not running at least 3-5 times a week. Be selective with whom you run with also. If you run with people who don't care what the dogs are doing or running as long as the sweet sound of "BEAGLE BLUEGRASS", can be heard, your dogs will develope bad habits.
If you can't wait on your pup to grow up and mature into it's fullest potential , then I highly recommend you finding a hound that is already 2-3 yrs. old that can provide you the enjoyment you are looking for. What's even more satisfying is when YOU raise a pup , start it, and it becomes Champion. Remember, it takes time. Give your hounds all the time they deserve, and they will give back all they can. Good Luck
Shawdog

#10519 - 02/05/08 02:31 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: shawdog]
Paul Thurmond Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Whoa! Hey Guys, I didn't start this post to make it a contest on whose Johnson is bigger. I wish I would have waited till I actually bought the dog before I posted. When I saw the dog {she is 5 months old} I knew that she was waaaaaaaaaay to young to trial. But I still bought her, { probably paid to much and that is no disrespect to the breeder} but I have a HUGE soft spot for lemon/whites. She seems to be a good dog and the wife and daughter fell in love with her at first sight. I talked to the breeder and told him I want to handle one of his dogs at the next trial and he said ok. Your right I am chomping at the bit to trial. I'm not here to set the world on fire. I just like being around beaglers. You people in PP are some of the nicest people that I have met and it just makes me want to get going that much more.

As for commenting on other peoples dogs and kennels and not believing them, thats fine. But I feel you shouldn't air it out on the board. Thats what PM's are for. Thats what I thought was great about the trial I went to. There was a little bit of ego, which is to be expected. But it was mostly kept in check. So I am sorry that the newbie stirred up the pot.

I have a few leads on some started dogs but nothing I feel solid about. So if any of you have a started,solid, dog you are looking to sell let me know. Especially if she is lemon/white!

Paul Thurmond (Longbow)

#10520 - 02/05/08 02:59 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Paul Thurmond]
Shawn Benefield Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Arkansas
Sorry Paul you are right. Hey just enjoy you lemon and white. My wife has a soft spot for Red dogs so I understand, but what I said started on a earlyer post. I should of just keep to myself. Hope you have may more trial and hope you find you a dog to trial. Good luck.

#10522 - 02/05/08 03:29 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Shawn Benefield]
ohno Offline

Loc: ohnoville
I have to disagree on the fact that dogs cant run PP and LP by the books and be judged right doing it. You yourself have judged a dog that is PP and LP champ and left him on the ground and probably even brought him back before. I myself have a dog that is a dual champ. I know you and Dennis don't like the fact that LP dogs are run in PP, but some dogs can do it and should be rewarded fairly for it, not just left unscored for susposedly "running to much rabbit". Not all LP dogs are swingers and skirters. Some can run the line with awesome speed and do it right. I've seen many times a dog doing just that leave a pack sittin, and not be scored because he is "runnin to much rabbit". Not trying to stir, just my opinion. Todd Yates

#10523 - 02/05/08 03:30 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Shawn Benefield]
RICK TAYLOR Offline
addict

Loc: TENN
he is the same rebel that has been banned for severla other boards...he can be a very nice guy and he can be ......... paul u listen to most on here u'll do well ..

#10524 - 02/05/08 05:35 AM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: RICK TAYLOR]
Shawn Benefield Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Arkansas
Ok let me put this a little more plainly. Most of the time LP dogs will minus out in PP. For the record my judging and Dennis Judging is TOTALY different. I will let them get a little ruffer than Dennis will. NO I don't like the fact LP dogs are running in PP pack if that was the case let just do away with both format and make it one. I may of brought you back a winner and left you on the ground, but I like a fast dog and one that run the front. I take nothing away from little pack but by god from what I've seen they are ruff, they swing, they skirt, they slip the line. That what I've seen and you will never change my mind about it. I chase dogs for hours. I'm not new at this. I don't have great dogs but I dan sure have judge them. I know what pp is all about. I like pp if not I would run LP. I'm far from perfect. If I let a LP/PP dog win that day hat off great job he did it right, but for the most part LP belong in LP and PP belongs in PP and that HOW I FEEL. Don't really care if you like it or not. I'm NOT going to change. I judge how I feel is right by the book and nothing going to change that.

#10527 - 02/05/08 02:24 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Shawn Benefield]
Dennis McCaig Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Missouri
TODD WHY DID YOU BRING MY NAME INTO THIS CONVERSATION, I HAVE NOT SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THIS POST AND I WASN'T GOING TO UNTIL NOW, I DON'T CARE IF YOU RUN A MONTH OLD PUP OR A TEN YEAR OLD DOG IF IT DOES GOOD FIND I WILL CALL IT LIKE I SEE IT ASK CHAD CORDELL, RICKY HAYES, AND RICHARD SMITH THEY CERIFIED A HOUND FOR PP CHAMPION AT 7 MONTHS AND 16 DAYS OLD FOR ME AT YOUR CLUB,SO PLEASE LEAVE ME OUT OF THIS CONVERSATION AND IF I DIDN'T LIKE LP HOUNDS I WOULDN'T COME TO NEELEYVILLE TO RUN AGAINST THEM ALWAYS REMEMBER RUN WHAT YOU LIKE FIND AND IF IT STAYS ON THE GROUND THAT IS EVEN BETTER

#10529 - 02/05/08 02:34 PM Re: When is a dog old enough to run in the open class [Re: Dennis McCaig]
Josh Jones Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: AR
Mr Rebel. I would love to see a 2 month old running a rabbit. I mean that is 8 weeks. I usually barely have them off the mother. Straight from the tit to a rabbit. I love it! I have heard some blow hards but that is funny. Hats off to you if you can do it. Of course I told my dad he was crazy when he told me his 4 month old pup could solo a rabbit for hours. Well I ate some crow on that one.
Josh

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  JOYCE, Kim 
Top Posters
leo simmons 1181
Josh Jones 1004
K Daniels 972
beagleman01 944
Danny King 943
Newest Members
Hobie, Zach Kimbrell, crocketsville, Highland Beagles, Swamp&Briar
1848 Registered Users