April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24055 - 01/23/12 07:40 PM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: Lance]
Josh Jones Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: AR
It is important to remember that the rules of PP are there to promote a certain type of dog. One that stays close in the check and focuses on line control. LP promotes another type of dog. I know some dogs can do both, but less than most think.

That is the reason for two formats.

#24056 - 01/23/12 07:57 PM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: Josh Jones]
Josh Jones Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So many bealers are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Just don't fit in.

I've been picked up. No big deal, just part of it. Come on..........join in and have a good time.

#24062 - 01/23/12 09:58 PM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: Josh Jones]
Dennis McCaig Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Missouri
Come on Josh you are just like me you know you get mad when you get picked up but you are not mad at the judge it is the hound you are mad at and just like me after the hunt all is forgotten, I bet I have been picked up alot more than you have I just run what I feed good or bad win some lose some it all cost the same. LOL

#24063 - 01/23/12 10:20 PM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: Dennis McCaig]
Buddy WAll Offline
journeyman

Loc: Oklahoma
josh i have judged pp at a fun hunt and never opted to take the test i have judged little pack and taken the test. to me as a little pack judge and master of hounds we go with the hounds and score the plus points unless we have to minuse in pp it looks like its the other way around. just a small observation cause i don't go but to say one or two a year. i have never failed to enjoy myself when i've been to one. remember the biggest majority of pp hunters use to be lp hunters so i do know alot of the guys that hunt it so i do enjoy the hunts. that is what its all about. i could careless if i win would just like to compete as a beagler not necessary as a little packer or a pp hunter. i don't mind getting picked up as long as its for the right reason.

#24066 - 01/23/12 11:04 PM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: Buddy WAll]
BILLINGS BROS. Offline
veteran

Loc: WEST TENNESSEE
Not being consistent on judging and picking up dogs for no reason is why PP attendance in down. I have seen judges change there opinions week to week depending on who were or were not at the hunt. I think dogs can run both pp and lp, it just depends on the dog and how you run them. Judging dogs that are not leading the pack is one of the big problems. How do you know the dog out front is messing up if you are not judging him and if he is so bad why is he not in the truck. If the dog out front is not messing up then the rest of the pack is running a covered track. The judges always say the dog out front is running to fast to judge. Then how do you keep up with lp dogs?

#24067 - 01/24/12 01:16 AM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: BILLINGS BROS.]
james mcdaniel Offline
veteran

Loc: pine bluff ar.
Guys its for everyone. No matter style you run.it is like fellowship and ievery hound has there day.but as a judge don't go out looking to pick a hound up.go out and get your best one of the day. It might take getting out a little or who is it to say it might take one who stays close, but all in all take your time and let the pack adapt it takes a few sometimes.im a pp judge and yes I will pick them. Up, but only for disrupted issues. My goal is to make the whole pack better not worse. If I try to get ride of them off the bat im willing to bet that the race isn't going to get better unless im just plane lucky.judging isn't luck. Its being consistent. And making the right decisions at all possible. To be fair.

#24068 - 01/24/12 01:21 AM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: BILLINGS BROS.]
Willow Creek Kennel Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LAWRENCEBURG , KY
I would rather judge a cast of Lp dogs than PP dogs.

You don't have to be on top of the dogs in LP just be there for the break downs that are 15 seconds or longer.

In PP dogs don't have to be broke down They can turn the line and recive a check so you have to be on top of them.

I think that is one of the biggest problems in PP judges are only lookin at that dog in the front. And not score'n the dog who is settin 2nd or 3rd in the pack and turnin the line!!

If you got a dog who runs the front and can handle it thats great I love to see a dog dominate a pack, but if you got a dog just runnin to be in the front and the others are turnin him from the back its time to get that dog in front off the ground.

#24071 - 01/24/12 03:52 AM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: Willow Creek Kennel]
BILLINGS BROS. Offline
veteran

Loc: WEST TENNESSEE
I agree with you. The problem we always had is not being consistent. We always had at least one of each we took to trials. One that was edgey, but could do his thing on a good running day and one that was more of a pack style check hound. We would nearly always end up with a judge that judged the opposite of the dog or had a different agenda before the dogs were put down. There needs to be honesty, consistancy and following the rules. SIMPLE!!

#24073 - 01/24/12 02:07 PM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: BILLINGS BROS.]
Buddy WAll Offline
journeyman

Loc: Oklahoma
well we have guys from ar,ky, and west tn that seem to be on the same page and i would totally agree with you guys. i wished there were some okies in here that was agreeing with you other than myself. will see but i would bet nothing will change.i'll let you know the next time i go to a pp hunt.

#24074 - 01/24/12 02:47 PM Re: little pack & progressive pack ? [Re: Buddy WAll]
Josh Jones Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've had a dog that could win in LP, PP, GD or any other format. I know they are out there.

I'm going to keep feeding the dog that will work a check inside out, run a clean line, and hunt it's tail off. I may never win another trial, but I'll be happy with my dogs. I guess that is what it's about.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  JOYCE, Kim 
Top Posters
leo simmons 1181
Josh Jones 1004
K Daniels 972
beagleman01 945
Danny King 943
Newest Members
Donnie, Hobie, Zach Kimbrell, crocketsville, Highland Beagles
1849 Registered Users
Forum Stats