February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28
Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25825 - 09/19/12 01:47 AM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: porkchop]
Willow Creek Kennel Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LAWRENCEBURG , KY
 Originally Posted By: porkchop
You don't have to change anything for my dog's thay can hold there own.you mite want to cange the style of yours to keep up with the times .I mite of miss read your post.i would be willing to try anything to make it better.

That's what we've all been talking about what are the times???

It all depends on what state you live in some states slow dogs some states upper med. speed, some states fast with control then you have some states that have just plain old fast idiots.(LP rejects) \:o \:o

What works in your state Mr Porkchop may not stay on the ground 10 minutes in mine so that's what were sayin about all getting on the same page as far as judging goes.

Im not sayin everybody has to run the same breeding of dog.
Just that everybody scores pluses and minuses as close to the same as possiable.

Mr Porkchop,my dogs like eveyone's if they will admit it could stand to be better. I haven't seen a perfect one yet,but then I haven't seen yours run yet. ;\)

#25826 - 09/19/12 02:04 AM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: Willow Creek Kennel]
porkchop Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Oklahoma
I dont have perfect dogs just good rabbit dogs.I agree we should all give pluse and minuses as close to the same as we can.I think we run close to the same style of dog we may get a chance to see i am going to try to make it to the US.

#25827 - 09/19/12 04:01 AM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: porkchop]
Armond Lombardi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Macomb, MI
I've enjoyed reading all of these posts. As far as the judges portion goes, it's definitely tougher on a young judge to mark those minuses down than it is to mark down the positive. I think it's mostly due to the fact that they simply don't know what they are for sure more than it is they're scared to mark em. If they were 100% sure of themselves, then they'd mark em with confidence. When I first started this I printed out the rules for progressive pack. It is 37 pages long!! Read it a bunch of times start to finish. Can be a little overwhelming with all of the info! What I did then is printed out seperately the judging part of the packet. It's only a few pages! Then I printed out seperately the 12 ways a hound can get minused. Only 1 page! This way I can grab the "judge" part of the rules and read em the night before a trial without it being a pain. It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to read all the plus and minus points a hound can recieve. Before long, you'll be able to recite it by heart and only need to skim over it as a refresher before a hunt.

Once you've passed the test and read these rules, you've just scratched the surface. Your first few times as a judge, I think you should still go with an experienced judge before you solo. You can learn a lot and the results won't be all on you! When you do make your mistakes, and you will, accept them and learn from them.

When you're running your own hounds on your grounds, you should act like it's a trial and "judge" them. Run behind them and you'll learn a ton about what a minus looks like, when it takes place and where. It'll be a much more relaxed environment than when you're at a trial! Not to mention you'll see what your hound does wrong so you're not blown away if he gets picked up at a hunt. Like Shannon said, I don't think that perfect hound exists! It'll also keep ya in shape so you can actually stay with the pack and see those minuses! Anybody can mark down a non-produce or a leaving the strike, pop-off bark, etc. It's not as easy to see those running violations. Before long, you won't need to look as hard for those minuses...they'll stand out and you'll be able to mark it down with confidence. Forget about what is said afterwards. As a judge, you can't please everybody in the cast and you shouldn't be trying to. I've had plenty of "awkward" drives back to the clubhouse and I know I'll have more! COMES WITH THE TERRITORY

I don't think you should judge at the EMC or US till you've been judging at least a couple years. And if you're constantly getting protested in your own state, you shouldn't judge there at all.

If everybody practices this, even you veteran judges lol, I think we'll all make it a more level playing field. I know I still do and I still have a ton to learn!

Thanks for reading,

-Armond

#25828 - 09/19/12 04:18 AM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: EARL LEASURE]
Armond Lombardi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Macomb, MI
I agree Earl. What about VA and PA? They should throw them in too and just call it the Northeast Region. Would definitely increase turnouts at all of our hunts and make it more of a challenge with more hounds participating!

-Armond

#25829 - 09/19/12 12:27 PM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: Armond Lombardi]
jeremy0810 Offline
addict

Loc: covington,ga
Armond,
You are so right. Just a FYI. I see now a days judges tooking Rule books in the field. This is a great thing. But is for me and i know sevral others we reread the rules weekly to stay fresh on them. It makes a big difference. So the best advice is read the rules offen as you can and skim over them before every trail. I incourge everyone not just judges to read the rules before every field trail

#25831 - 09/19/12 01:21 PM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: jeremy0810]
Carpal Tunnel

Good post Armond and your right even experienced judges should never stop learning and wanting to learn just like our dogs we are not perfect so lets try to better ourself's as a format and as judges.

I hope you can make it to the US Mr Hollen it is a good time and usally have some great runnin.

#25841 - 09/19/12 03:29 PM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: Willow Creek Kennel]
Z Tree Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Michigan
Great post Armond, you and Shannon have the right idea. In my opinion anyways.

#25847 - 09/20/12 03:37 PM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: Z Tree]
Josh Jones Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: AR
I would like there to be some kind of Judges Feedback form. Especially at the US, or EMC. On this form would be a way for someone that might be in the gallery to fill in things they liked or thought the judge might be able to improve.

I know this would probably turn into a gripe session sometimes, but if judges received some feedback on how they judge instead of people gathering in the corner and complaining about it, some judges might get better.

Even better.......... if you had everyone in the cast rate their judge on a scale of one to ten, you could give an award away to the highest scoring judge at the trial. Here are you guys some categories.

Hustle (did the judge keep up): 1-10

How smooth the cast went(hound sense): 1-10

Rules implementation: 1-10

Comments section:

#25848 - 09/20/12 09:30 PM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: Josh Jones]
porkchop Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Oklahoma
I like that Josh

#25851 - 09/21/12 12:45 AM Re: New hound of the yr runoff system [Re: porkchop]
Carpal Tunnel

Josh, I think this rating system your talking about would just turn into a popularity contest or a bash fest either one wouldn't help us better the format in my opinion I could be wrong though.

You know as well as I do some people know it all or are never wrong always right and no matter what people wrote down or suggested they change or improve they would never do it they would just say: "They don't know what there talkin about I've always done it this way and im not gonna change"

This is the way with anything you have some people that just won't change and belive they have no room for improvement,But if we can get the majority to change or want to improve we can be the way I belive we are the best format out there.

So our PPRCH & PPGRCH will be enveyed & respected in the beagling community the way they should be.

I would like to have some system also were when someone got there judges lic. they would be graded by all the other lic. judges that way if people kept getting bad reports from different lic. judges then there lic. would or could be suspended or revoked.This would also keep some shady stuff down.

The only way you could grade a judge is if you were a judge also.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  JOYCE, Kim 
Top Posters
leo simmons 1181
Josh Jones 1004
K Daniels 972
beagleman01 945
Danny King 943
Newest Members
Hobie, Zach Kimbrell, crocketsville, Highland Beagles, Swamp&Briar
1848 Registered Users
Forum Stats